View Single Post
(#18 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-08-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Japanese employers don`t really care about correspondence schools - as long as the school is accredited it is valid. If it`s one of those "Receive a degree overnight based on real life experiences!" scams, then no - it will never be valid anywhere in the world.

If you`re going to be teaching English, they don`t really care WHERE you got your degree either, as long as you have one. It`s more for visa purposes than any real educational expectations. I have a feeling that if most of the big name English schools could get away with it, they`d hire those without degrees so they could pay them less.

I literally had 6 schools jumping to hire me as soon as I had a valid visa - which was before I had my degree. The thing is, I was married so had that valid visa - not really something anyone can do.

If you`re going to be teaching English, the only cases where employers care where you got your degree is if you were in an especially important position (which is pretty much...never?), or if you received your degree in Japan. (Or, obviously, if you`re Japanese.) Even then, a degree is a degree in most cases.
Absolutely correct, as always. The employers I worked on hiring committees for were a bank and a translation company. For English teaching, as long as the degree is legit, WHERE you graduate from becomes less important...just as long as you graduated, and are visa-worthy in the eyes of the government.