Thread: Hanshin Tigers!
View Single Post
(#11 (permalink))
Old
timelesssymphony (Offline)
なんでやねん?

Send a message via AIM to timelesssymphony
05-10-2008, 02:49 PM

haha I think most of us understood you blimp, not many people who don't live in Japan follow Japanese baseball there all out buying their ichiro rolls at Mariners games, The rain sucked today and the bay stars played well, I didn't get a chance to watch the Giants game but I heard it was disappointing, I am not a fan of the Yomirui coach though. And for those who don't Know I thought I would write about the curse of the colonel as it is a funny story.

So The Tigers won the Japan league championships in 1985 and as some may know us osakans are crazy, so a group of fans took people that looked like each of the Players dressed them up and then jumped into the Dontobori Canal (which is a really nasty river thing that you cannot see the bottom) How ever there was an American player named Randy Bass who they could not find a Japanese person who looked like him so they took a life size Colonel sanders statue from the Dontobori KFC and tossed him into the river never to be seen again, the Tigers had 18 years of lackluster seasons after that and many tried to find the Colonel even dredging the canal, they found lots of bikes and cans but no sanders. So again in 2003 the Tigers got close to winning and all of the KFC's hid their statues for fear of a repeat, the KFC in Dontobori's new Colonel sanders is still bolted down to this day and there is a no swimming sign at the Ebisubashi bridge. It is said that the tigers will never win again until the Colonel is found. On a funny note there is a famous sweet shop with a man dressed in a red and white striped suit on the same street playing a tin drum, the shop put a inflatable tube on him with a sign that said "I cannot swim" back in 1985.. sadly however that shop is set to close this July with no word of what will happen to the guy .

And that my friends is the curse of the Colonel.