View Single Post
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-24-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraseven View Post
Initially, I went with places like Akihabara in mind, but found myself searching out the older parts of Japan around Kyoto. The (surprisingly clean) Shinjuku was amazing as I'm not used to cities on that scale, but searching out the 'real', historical parts of Japan is ultimately more rewarding. However I saw very little countryside, besides a brief visit to Shigaraki hence why I'd like to visit Hokkaido perhaps. Did you travel by yourself?

Have you read Looking for the Lost, or The Roads to Sata by English writer Alan Booth? Well written books, by an author who shares your views I think.
No, never read 'im. I'll have to check it out. I travelled by myself, them married my wife there in a shinto ceremony. Much of the travelling I've done with her before and after we married. When you live there so long (only three years) you learn about the out of the way places.

For example, on the Kii-hanto (somewhere 'tween Wakayama and Nara-ken) you can take a long drive into the hills to a village called Totsukawa. There is a suspended rope bridge there that is either the tallest or longest in Japan. Afterwards, you can sit in the glass fronted coffee shop and watch dudes drag their screaming girlfreinds across the bridge.

Or in the hills around Hashimoto and Koya-san you can find waterfalls or fireflies along the rivers. Wow, now i'm feeling really nostaliac.

where is shagaraki?