(#22 (permalink))
Old
babylj (Offline)
New to JF

06-25-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroneko View Post
Ok to continue from where I last was.

While you are eating you might encounter what I call "the silence". Don't alarmed most Japanese don't find this strange at all. "It is a time to reflect on ones self and straiten out your thoughts", said to me by one of my good friends. Don't try and break the silence as you would in a Western setting. It might be very awkward your first time, but you'll get use to it with time. Also let your host show your to your seat. Most Japaneses do not like it when there guests wander around there house. (I know a lot of American people don't like this too) Before you eat you say "Gochisosamadeshita" which means I gratefully receive. "Itadakimasu" is said after you are done eating (kind of like thanks for the food)

When in a more formal setting (while wearing Yukata/Kimono) remember to follow the host instruction. Its okay if you don't get it, your host will understand. Don't forget to take off you slippers before you enter a room with Tatami. (looks like woven grass) When you are done eating leave your dishes/bowl. DO NOT bring your dirty dishes to the kitchen, your host will clean up for you. If your are still hungry don't ask for more food , just simply leave some rice in you bowl. Your host will see this as a sign that you are still hungry. (she/he will then refill your bowl.)

Drinking most certainly my favorite thing, but there are some things to remember. Japanese despite their die hard work ethics, like their Sake. If you get the chance you should go drinking in Japan. Most likely you'll be invited by a bunch of your friends. If you don't feel like drinking you could politely decline, but this is seen as kind of "I don't really feel like Im good enough friend to go drinking with you." This in turn makes them try harder. You could get by not going to a couple of get togethers, but sooner or latter you should go.

Now when you are drinking with your friends watching a drunk Sato-san on the Karaoke you might notice your friends poring Drinks for each other. This "poring" is a very strong Japanese drinking custom. It shows your trust for one another and bonds the Japaneses more closely together. Theres not much to it just don't pore for your self, pore for others when there glass if empty or low. If you want more sake (alcohol) just hold you glass up with both hand, it will soon be full to the top.

Now if your one not to drink there are some alternatives to which you can take. Fist is nomemasen which means "I can't drink." not to be confused with nomimasen which meand "I don't(or won't) Drink" Know if you want you could go with Orange juice for your friends to pore for you.

Well thats all i have to say about that. Sorry for the long ass Post. Hope this helps to give you some Ideas for dos and don't.
Itadakimasu is said before eating and gochisosamadeshita after eating..