View Single Post
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-26-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip View Post
hahahaha yeah. Well, my mom lived in tokyo for 2 years when she was in the military and she told me alll about their work style...Though, she did forget to mention the extreme overtime.

Well I guess that'll keep lazy americans like myself from ever wanting to live over there.

It would be a really amazing experience...But i'd probably end up killing myself because it sounds like 'salarymen" as you called them, have no social life..and have no home life. They just work for their family until they die....
Bingo. The only social life is drinks after work with their co-workers. The general idea is "the way of successive generations", meaning that you work hard to get your children into good schools, so that they can get a better job than you had. That is the reason for such strong emphasis on education in Japan. Without getting good grades, and getting into the "right" schools, your potential future is severely limited.

Another bad thing about Japan which people often hear little about is the typical married relationship. The husband works, the wife stays home. Sex rarely occurs, and occurs even more rarely once children are born. Such relationships are what keep "relief centers" and "soaplands" in business. I had fun looking at the signs for such places in Kabukicho last weekend.