View Single Post
(#31 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
07-01-2008, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Are "hmm..." and "well..." really frowned upon in English? I don't think so.
It probably depends on the person listening. I know that some English teachers I've had was very strict where grammar was concerned, and would get on students vehemently if mumbling when talking or using "um" or "hmm" and such, like we were hesitating in our speech.
Quote:
Are you sure your teacher wasn't talking about being an "active listener"? In Japanese it is common to "n...n...n..." as someone is talking to indicate you are listening and following along.
My Japanese teacher does this. I've noticed it.
Quote:
If you don't, people think you are ignoring you. How many times have I been on the phone with a Japanese person and had them say "moshi moshi" in the middle of a conversation because they thought we were cut off...
Ironic, my teacher has done this before as well. I found it odd, then figured that since she was on a cell phone, she probably thought she might've had a dropped call.