(#203 (permalink))
Old
CrazyLee (Offline)
4th Kyu Aikidoka

Send a message via MSN to CrazyLee Send a message via Skype™ to CrazyLee
07-01-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
Amnell, Aikido does not work, for starters.
As an Aikidoka I take offence to this, although to a certain degree I also agree. The techniques themselves don't work if your a beginner (and I class beginnner as having studied for less than 2 years) and you get jumped on the street. However the basic principle of movement; of getting out of danger, does. Aikido isn't the techniques; the throws or the ability to break bones. Its the art of blending with your opponent, redirecting his/her energy so that you can get out of harms way. And once your out of the way of a direct attack (puch, kick, etc) then you can do the second most important thing in a fight - run.
Lets be honest here, when you learn a Martial Art your learning to defend yourself. The best way of protecting your life is by not being in the fight.

And I'm now going to add something to the whole size and gender issue: it doesn't matter what size, gender, hair color, etc that you are. If you have the belief, the commitment and the drive to make a technique work then it will. Thats all you need, because once you start to second guess yourself then you lose.

Just my 2p worth.