Thread: Martial Arts
View Single Post
(#206 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
07-03-2008, 07:19 PM

Lol, "fun", eh? Since I lack the ability to do a one hit KO punch, I'd say it's a lack of options rather than 'fun'.

But, as I've said, the goal is survival regardless of how it's attained--short of killing the other guy, if at all possible, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu
That sounds pretty dull, really.

Try something a little more simple. Like, flick kick at the groin then an upper cut to the chin...

You might want to watch the eye gouges, however, Amnell. When some piss head takes you to court because he was a little out of control wandering home one night and started at you for a random reason, and then procedes to explain how he lost both his eyes... you get the idea... Only do things like that when you are in serious danger.
It was just an example :P . My experience in Kenpo is pretty short, even if I did learn a lot. I'm sure that someone who's invested years in it would do some much more crazy things.

Your move would work nicely, too :3 .

Agreed. Though eye gouges are one of the first techniques we learn, we're taught in class and in lecture (yes, we get lectures on occassion) to use it pretty much only when we're certain life and/or limb are in real danger. That out of control guy might be out of control enough that he is trying to break your arm or choke you out or (for women) even rape you. As those present very real threats, the law in California justifies the use of whatever force you can bring to bear to escape the immediate threat. If the guy tried to sue you later, the laws regarding defensive use of force would be on your side--unless you also lost control and proceeded to do a lot more than scratch his eyeballs.

Most of the lectures we recieve from our head instructor are regarding law so that we don't ever go overboard. He's an ex-cop, so he's pretty familiar with the subject. When he doesn't lecture us law and justification of force, he gives us lessons on criminal psychology, which is usually pretty interesting.

*Another situation we're taught to use eye gouges in is when facing multiple opponents. For a guy, this might be in a bar fight were ten people are just attacking you because you rooted for the wrong team. For a woman, it might be an ambush in an alley where there are three or four guys.

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.