View Single Post
(#60 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-05-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabista View Post
Millions? Thousands, perhaps. Well, I don't have the figures but the number has to be low -- especially in a country that tolerates zero immigration!

Nonetheless it's an uphill struggle. As a foreigner you have a harder time convincing tochan and kachan that you're "serious" -- if indeed you are. The Japanese widely believe that a foreigner is an option best suited for "batsu-ichi" and others viewed as "damaged goods." Not good enough for that most glittering of prizes, the young salaryman with good prospects.

I know quite a few of these "mixed" couples, and they either married over the protestations of their families or because the Japanese party suffered from some "defect" (as they see it), i.e. previous divorce, mental illness, poor health, etc.
Why would you think the number is so low? In my city of Portland alone there is more than one "Japanese school" where all the students are either 100% or 50% Japanese. I would say that 2/3 of the students are 50% Japanese and that is a few hundred kids. Like Nyororin said, most don't live IN Japan.

I am sorry to hear you two have had such a negative experience with mixed couples. I do know of a few that have gotten divorced, but on the other side I know some Japanese grandparents that love having an excuse to come to America and visit their grandchildren every year.

I think your attitude, Wasabista, is a little outdated.