Thread: Your Timeline
View Single Post
(#27 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
07-18-2008, 03:18 PM

Despite a long timeline, there aren't enough applicable entries.

1967-69 - Biloxi, MS - Best friend is Japanese-American, Mother is Shinto. This started my interested - more in Shinto than Japan itself. Also about that time I met one of my father's trainee pilots from Japan, which sparked a less spiritual interest in Japan.

August 1969 we pack to move to Bangkok, but end up in central Illinois. Not exactly a hotbed of Asian Studies, but Dad's boss sparked my interest in Korea, because my gut knew there had to another side to his experiences at the Peace Talks (constant subject of all his conversations). Begin living at the base library creating my own course in Asian studies, focusing on Japan and Korea. Fall & Winter 1969-70 dating class "cute geek" who is Japanese-American till his father is transferred to Alaska.

June 1970 - moved to Fort Worth, TX when Dad goes to Saigon. Receive technical drama award for presentation on Kabuki make-up styles and application.

July 1971-1974 - College work for BA in Communications (Technical Theatre speciality). Continued some study of Kabuki, added Noh, and became a serious fan of Kurosawa. Served as Technical AD for university production of Rashomon. Sewed my first kimono for the female lead and aquired my first pair of geta. Took up fencing with plans to convert from french foil & epee to kendo (still want to do that). Began collecting sensu and studying Daoism and Bhuddism.

1976 - returned to graduate school for Teaching certification in French, Theatre and Speech. Briefly dated native Japanese on temporary assignment here with Kawaski. First time I seriously wanted to visit Japan.

1980 - Began working for a financial corporation with offices in Tokyo and served as communication officers between the US and Tokyo home offices. Began to learn a few phrases, but mostly romajii because bulk of discussion swere by telex.

1993 - Finally tried sushi with raw fish (previously vegetarian or spider rolls), after which my finance were eternally doomed. The slow transition of my home from western decor with Asian accents to Asian with western conveniences nears completion.

1994 - Began growing collection of kimonos, yukatas, and getas with purchase in San Francisco. Began checking out Japanese Restaurants all over the US and even in Toronto. (Budget continues to dwindle.) Added study of shabari to artistic pursuits.

2004 - AZN TV (International Channel) gets me to start watching TV again. Discover KPop, Japanese and Korean TV & dramas. Urge to travel resurfaces.

2006 - Contract with helicopter company begins to promise access to Hokaido and Seoul, but then in 2007 project fails to sell and contract terminates. At least passport has been renewed. Joins Trammel Crow Asian Art Museum.

2007 - Assisting with, then managing Dallas Sushi & Sake group. Joins Japan-American Society DFW Chapter just before Japanese Film Festival. Finds JF.

2008 - First formal Japanese classes. Informal Korean classes. Begin searching fare and routes to tour Japan and Seoul.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.