View Single Post
(#97 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-23-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
I'd just like to say something about that sentence I highlighted. I think it's pretty obvious you don't really know how the News world works. Didn't you know that MOST western News channels get their info from the same source? I'll get back to you with the specific name (My brother works for Al Jazeera, he'll be able to tell me the name).

As for the Chinese news channels not broadcasting anything about the protests etc. Did you actually watch any Chinese news channels? I think not. If you did, you'd see that they DID in fact show and talk about the riots, hence why the Chinese people boycotted Carrefour, a huge french supermarket chain. hmmm, I wonder. Did the western media lie about this too , obviously they did, or at least, mislead the west.

With regards to the Tibet issue and letting reporters in. To be honest with you, that is blown WELL out of proportion, and once again, you've just given the opinion of the western media. There could be a million reasons as to why they didn't let reporters in. Heck, I could think of a simple example right now. China didn't have the situation under control therefore didn't want to have the risk of getting foreigners killed which leads to even more trouble. Just a possible reason out of millions. Not allowing access or coverage of something doesn't automatically mean someone, somehwere is hiding something, unless of course it's the media. It's tasty news if the foreigner is evil, and the homeland is the angel It works like this for every countries media. Chinese, US, European etc. They're all doing the same thing, hence why I prefer to look at both sides of the story.
Are you talking about Reuters? Yes I'm aware of this "source". Though it's not really a "source" rather a network which reporters tend to work through. It has no single major shareholder. In fact you could say that it's owned by and employs so many people that there is no possible way that you could say it has any "Western agenda".

The sources in this story are the tourists and few reporters that were actually inside Tibet.

And no I didn't watch the Chinese news channels. But I did see the reports on the Chinese media's relative silence on those protests. According to those reports, Chinese people found out about this via the internet. A media source that the Chinese government simply cannot control. I'm sorry but you'll have to give me substantial evidence rather than just saying so. Of course it is quite likely that the Chinese media addressed it since the news broke eventually. If you can show me an actual report from the day it happened then I'll concede to you.

Yes there could be a million reasons why they didn't let reporters in. I was speculating on behalf of myself not "The West" when I questioned China's motive in banning the media. To claim that there could be a million reasons is dodging the question rather than giving me an answer which you obviously don't have.

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 07-23-2008 at 09:48 AM.