View Single Post
(#33 (permalink))
Old
Housetek (Offline)
is a big dork

Send a message via AIM to Housetek Send a message via MSN to Housetek Send a message via Skype™ to Housetek
07-23-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spodletela View Post
With my girlfriend we are getting ready to travel to Japan for one month. We are coming from Slovenia (EU), but we are not really a rich country (former Yugoslavian republic), so i want to make an """investigation""" about expenses if we travel on a low budget (i dont want to sell a car when we come back )...

Has someone travel there with Japan Rail Pass and sleep in a hotels/whatever that are as cheap as possible but still not like 50 km from city centers? Can you please tell me how many yens/euros/dollars you spent for living? (we wont be staying on one place for more then 2 days, probably moving around all the time, so any advice how to find cheap sleeping place fast is more then welcome)

The second question is a little bit exotic; is it possible to "survive" in Japan without eating meat, eggs or fish?

Thank you for response...
well what part of japan are you going to?

that makes a HUGE difference.

But check out local Guest houses and hostells all around tokyo.

They usually charge around 40 dollars for a room big enough for 2 a night.

u can get by just eating rice and salads i guess. plenty of places to eat.

plus if your on a VERY tight budget you can just buy rice balls, ramen, or random stuff from corner stores and such.

If your looking for a cheap vacation, japan is not the place for you. Unless you want to see the outer areas of the cities.

But IT can be done on a strict budget. If you search up my guide to Tokyo, it shows you exactly how much you wana ball park your spending.

But if i was to make another guide to SUPER cheap budgeting then i guess that could be done with some of the places ive stayed, also that month i ran out of money and pretty much pinched every penny.

some general tips to saving money are

Avoid taxi's
Use buses or trains
Stay in guess houses or hostels, it wont be comfortable or roomy.
Yoshinoya and other chain fast food places charge about 2-3 dollars a bowl of rice with choice of meats or veggies. relatively cheap and fills you up.

You'll find cheaper food in mom and pop stores in side streets.
Pack light and if you are having trouble finding a place to stay with enough space for your luggage, considering putting the bulk of your things into Lockers found at train stations.

Enjoy the free festivals and whatnot.

any other specific questions feel free to ask, i didnt have time to read the whole post for im at work but ill get back to it later

MR.JF & Jf God
heres a personal Ty to all who voted and participated http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ER8CsVuTNY

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=housetek
please check out the videos and subscribe!

feel free to pm/aim/msn me for any Q's on Japan