(#7 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-24-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneyswans View Post
really appreciate the advice - thanks heaps to you guys / girls

1) Any preferred onsen towns ? - it seems some may be overly touristy and tacky / cheesy / very expensive
We dont mind a bit of tourist cheese - however would rather a 'real' place set in a natural place

2) Can you recommend a place with different bath options - steam, water, mud

3) Can you recommend a onsen place dominated by japanese (not tourists)

4) Can you recommend a onsen place that might have a communal bath where i could go with my girlfriend

5) Is it worth going to Beppu ?

if you come to australia, i am happy to advise
Hmm, I can't really recommend a specific place. BUt if you are planning to go to Kyushu anyways, they go ahead and pay a visit to Beppu and enjoy your onsen. As for onsen town, Atami, Hakone and Nikko are all famous for onsen, these aren't cheesy tourist, but just simply a Tourist thing, local tourist that is, so I am sure you can get as close as the culture can get at these towns.

Most onsen resort in Atami and Hakone (I never been to a resort in Nikko myself) have female only onsen where you can just sit and chill with your girlfriends in the half boilding water.

As a side note, a lot of people prefer Hakone over Atami only beacuse its a direct access from Yumoto to Togendai (Lake Ashi, you can take a boat cruise here ot see Mount Fuji), and the way from Yumoto to Togendai includes a very very nice 40 minutes cable car ride that offer a breath taking veiw of the surroundings.