View Single Post
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-27-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
When you are in 11th grade the last thing you are going to want to do is separate from all your friends and graduate with strangers in Japan. I would consider doing an exchange for college, but going to a Japanese high school for your senior year seems like torture.

I am going to assume you are already pretty fluent in Japanese, or else this idea is hardly feasable.

Also you know that the Japanese school year is April to March with a month off in summer...so you are either going to miss the end of your 11th grade year, or come in the middle of your 12th grade year.

As a former teacher at a Japanese high school, trust me, you don't want to spend your senior year in Japan.
My (senior) friends tell me that the only thing that makes the senior year miserable is the preparation for entrance to a university. I have a friend who goes to juku from 10 am to 10 pm just to study for the entrance exam... it's really tough on her and makes it hard to make plans.

But then again, it depends on the school. The school I went to was more laid back than other schools in the area, so the rules weren't very strict, so it was very easy to find time to have fun in between classes or when there was no teacher

I
沖縄           My blog