View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

Suggestion: Serious Discussion Topic? - 07-29-2008, 09:15 PM

Recently a lot of very interesting topics I have been posting on have had to be closed because of silly spamming and general inconsiderate comments, and sometimes petty arguing. I like having interesting debates with people who can do it in a calm and rational manner, without being personally offensive. I think it's a shame that Japan Forum finds it difficult to hold up controversial topics without them eventually dissapearing into the abyss that is the spams/bans/flames thread.

My proposed idea would be a forum called Serious Discussion, or even a branch off General Discussion in which members are able to talk about more controversial subjects in a more controlled manner. I think that immature members spoil it for others on here and while properly debating with other members I have been broken off by people who cannot control their tempers online, or are not able to post anything relevant.

Therefore I think that the Serious Discussion should be restricted only to veteren members to avoid silly comments and spam, and should be limited only to very dedicated members who are able to debate without causing arguement. For example, a member needs to have 1000 posts [steep, I know], or for example have to answer questions about topics to see if they are able to debate in a concise manner.

Obviously we could face problems with this - places like this need to be heavily moderated and access needs to be granted to those members who want to participate - this is not something that can be implimented here and now. But with ShinjukuEki adding new things to the site and with the messages that people have sent regarding moderators I really think this could be possible sometime in the future.

I also realise that this is Japan Forum - but there are also a lot of controversial topics about Japan that people would also like to discuss too, for example Japan suicide rates and so on - this is something that people want to know about but can be difficult to discuss with newer members. There is a lot of topics about racism in Japan, and people could also ask these too.

I think it would help tidy up the forum a little too, instead of having these random discussions popping up all over the place.

Anyway, I just really wanted to know what you guys thought about this idea. I've seen it on another forum and regulalry participate, and everyone get's along fine. But I must say that the approximate age of those people is higher than here so there is a lot less immaturity and more room for proper debate.

Sorry this is so long, just wanted to throw some ideas out here and explain them properly. Thanks for reading and I really want to hear feedback, good or bad.