your advice is most welcome
I think your advice on Nikko is sound
i will certainly check out kanazawa

appreciate the tip on the hida folk vilage

some times it a little recommendation that results in a great day
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneyswans View Post
it seems to me that i should get a 3 week JR pass for this trip
even though i will stay a few days here and there, overall the pass will be worth it

tell me if im wrong
Glad to help. I've been to most of the places you're going, and I loved it. I think you'll have a great time!

As for the rail pass, I took a look at the fares from Osaka to Hiroshima and back to Kyoto, and the additional 12,600 yen per person for the 3 week instead of 2 week pass is probably worth it. You might save a little money by just buying tickets for those days and buying a 2 week pass, activating it later in the trip, but it probably wouldn't be very much (and the smaller tickets, such as to Himeji, to the Miyajima ferry station, etc would almost certainly consume most of that). If you were there just 1 week earlier, you could use a ju-hachi kippu for those days instead of the regular tickets, and then you'd save more money (if you were traveling with at least 1 other person, since you can split the ju hachi kippu among multiple people), but they are only valid during vacation times, which means the summer one ends Sep 10th.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan

Last edited by samurai007 : 08-01-2008 at 01:57 AM.