(#26 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-02-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasabista View Post
Don't put down brands so fast. A reliable brand saves you time and trouble by directing you to a product whose good and bad points you understand.
I am talking specifically about the assumption that because it has a certain name slapped on it, that it has to be good. Brands serve a purpose. If I want something "safe", a brand is the way to go. I know full well that when I try things that are unfamiliar that it`s a risk. It is easiest to stick with the tried and true, middle of the road, acceptable to the majority brand names. But that doesn`t mean they`re what *I* will find the best tasting. Therefore I am more than willing to take those risks so that I can find the things I personally like the best. Yes, I`ve had some real crap - but it isn`t as if I didn`t realize that risk was there. I`ve also found some absolutely wonderful products that the "safe" brands can`t even hold a candle to.

In other words - it`s not the brands themselves I dislike. It`s the cultural attitude toward those brands, and the frequent unwillingness to try something because it doesn`t have a brand name on it.

Quote:
Niigata no Koshihikari is absolutely top notch, and I haven't met the Japanese who disagrees. But I'll certainly give the Fukui variety a try.
I never said Niigata Koshihikari was bad at all. It`s very good.

I just prefer Fukui, and consider it to be better. But if we run out of rice, and I pick up a small bag - it`s more than likely going to be Niigata... As, well, it`s safe - and I don`t want to be stuck eating through something awful. But I`ll still switch back over to our preferred rice ASAP.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.