View Single Post
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

08-14-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACGalaga View Post
The alien elements are always an appealing factor to the foreigner traveling or wishing to travel to Japan.

I've been living in Japan for about a year now and I do like it a lot. But there have been many hardships in my life during my stay. (in particular, battling my inner demons.)

The glamorous cosmetic layers of this country are pealed away the deeper you dig into Japan's culture. I have heard many other foreigners do nothing but complain about the culture after mingling with it for a little while. There are many great and wonderful people here in Japan, but if you stay here long enough, you will defiantly witness many forms of racism. If you plan on ever working in this country, always remember; you will NEVER be Japanese.

That aside, I love Japan! Also, this is my first time as well as my first post on this forum. Nice to meet you all!
Welcome!

Good post, but I just wanted to say, as a foreigner you really aren't japanese. So why would you want to try and become something you're really not? If I were to live and work in Japan (which I'm not sure I want), I would be perfectly fine with always being a swedish guy living in an foreign country. I don't get this whole craze for total assimilation.

Oh and this was not "aimed" at you really, so don't think it It was just that you brought that up.

なんでやねん!