View Single Post
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-19-2008, 01:56 AM

I wasn't aware of any dress code among the yakuza, nor was I aware that the Japanese government could regulate what clothing people could wear. The last yaks I saw were a couple of young men in their twenties wearing suits and driving a very nice Ferrari.

As for the rest, it is somewhat true. There is a lot of pressure from parents for their children to succeed in school, and many people do collapse from it. But Japan's problem with suicide is more of a cultural thing. In Japan, there are no serious cultural or religious prohibitions to suicide, it's been a common act throughout Japanese history.

I'm not a fan of anime or manga, I just enjoy living in Japan. I like the culture, the food, the scenery, and the energy of the place. I enjoy history, and there is much history in Japan to study.

Anime, manga, and the "harajuku" culture are very superficial. They are mere fads and phases through which people in Japan (and increasingly, people in the west) pass. Real life can be more interesting to those who make the effort to live it, rather than imagine or imitate the lives of comic book characters.