Thread: Circumcision?
View Single Post
(#40 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-19-2008, 04:09 AM

That's sad that people got on you for you sharing the bed with a three month old. It wasn't often my parents shared the bed with me when I was like six or seven or so, but I'd say up to at least eight or nine, if I had a bad dream, I'd run to my parents' room and mom would let me get in the bed with them.

I remember during my nap times, sometimes my dad would take a nap with me when I was very young.

Oh yeah!! A funny story. lol My parents told me that when I was about a year old, maybe slightly older (and we were still living in NY at that time and lived in an apt), I used to throw myself out of my crib, run up the hall (my mom said it was a long hallway for a kid my age) and hop in the bed with them. My mom said it was scary hearing that sound, and then footsteps coming fast up the hall like Stewie of Family Guy. lol She said she'd put me back, but she'd hear the "thump" and then the footsteps. I was a strange baby. =P

I know my aunt used to sleep with all of her kids sharing the bed with her when they were babies (they're pretty much grown now; her youngest is now 17). She was talking about it the other day of how she used to let them stay in the bed with her to keep from having to get up and down to check on them when they cried. She even laughed, "I don't know why I had a crib."

My grandmother shared the bed with my cousin (now 14) when she was a baby since my family took care of her, since her mother was still in the Navy at the time. My grandmother also used to share a bed with me when I was about seven, but only because my aunt (the one I just mentioned whose youngest is now 17) and her firstborn (he was about two) and her bf were staying with us. My grandmother, for the most part, has always lived with my family.

I guess my family is close since I see nothing wrong with parents and children sharing a bed since I grew up with it. I just outgrew that need, though, as I got older, especially after we moved to the newer house when I was eight. Mom and dad were upstairs, and I was downstairs. If I had a bad dream, and called for one of them, they usually couldn't hear me, so I just had to deal with it on my own since I was too scared to get up and go upstairs to them on my own. Instead, I'd just sleep with the light on, and then dad would come down and cut it off.

That aside, I don't think anyone should get on a parent for sharing a bed with his or her kid, especially if the child is young and still attached to the parent. Now if the child is into his/her teens, then I'd be a bit worried since that indicates too much of an attachment. The problem is that people always assume something of a sexual nature now-a-days, which is just beyond sad.