(#31 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-20-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
My Japanese teacher actually asked one time if for my family's Easter dinner if we had Fried Chicken just because I was black. Misconceived notions will probably always be a problem to some extent, though.
Wow, that is one that I find surprising. I don`t know anyone in Japan who knows those sort of stereotypes - they seem to be limited to the US... Although I assume your teacher had probably lived in the US for a while (if not forever) and picked it up there.

In regards to the actual topic...

I DO think that a LOT of users on here have a very distorted view of Japan, but not in the way that the original poster implied. Those are "common" misconceptions, and are known well enough that someone who has never been to Japan (Like the OP I presume) can find countless bits of information about them.

It`s the other, more subtle things that seem to be muddled a lot more. It`s people`s beliefs about what they can accomplish in Japan, about the ease of hopping to another country to live, etc that are the real "distortions" obvious on this board. Another big glaring one (on this board) has to do with fashion, as the "Japanese fashion styles" so adored pretty much exist only in the minds of other foreign "fans". In real Japan, it`s dress up time in one or two TINY locations, and nothing near a way of life or accepted. It`s sort of like going to a costume party and making the assumption that everyone can get away with that in everyday life. In other words, so far from reality that it`s laughable.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.