View Single Post
(#38 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-20-2008, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmei View Post
exactly, and it's easily to side with the OP on this issue if you look at a lot of the threads/posts here. But, it's also easy to realize a lot of these posters are young and still very ambitious. I also wish to move to Japan to stay/live/work and I know it's going to be very HARD. A lot harder then the USA to work at a company. Much overtime work, lot more expectations and the like. Rightfully so, because if I'm not going to do it, I'm sure there's someone else in line behind me that can and will. These things are natural when entering the real world (not lolita-goth-anime-whatever world that people dream of) in Japan.
I must be an odd one. I actually aspire that aspect, the overtime, trying to present a good image for your company, etc., but I'm used of working overtime without pay. My job at SunTrust I did it without complaining and at the middle school I worked at as an Assistant Teacher, I'd stay longer than I had to without the pay due to the irresponsibility of others. I think I'm just used to it or something, since I do do it without thinking much about it. Weird of me, probably...
Quote:
I'm also a fan of Japanese fashion, but like what you posted...not that Harajuku/Lolita/Goth/Maid stuff that is weekend fantasy wear.
I'm not going to lie, I actually like some of those Loli styles. I like Kuro Lolita style, Gothic Lolita style, and Aristocrat Lolita style, but I also say this, if I can't bring myself to dress like any of these styles at home, then I wouldn't do it there either. lol
Quote:
Real Japanese fashion is very nice, I love 'oshare' looks and different styles of hair (another thing they seem to think is everyone has their favorite J-Rocker/VisualKei haircut). The fact of the matter is, none of these styles would get the wearer a normal job at any normal company and is purely fantasy and only a minority when it comes to Japan and fashion. I don't mean to be negative on this issue, but it sometimes bothers me too...as we see a lot of it here.
I can't believe anyone would think this in general. Seriously! I have kind of a celtic/hippie type style to me. So I've been told, anyway. Last night, someone straight up told me that. "You have a celtic thing going on with the dragon earrings and dragon winged necklace with the dark jewel and small circle with the star in it, and the clothes go too [I was wearing a frilly black shirt (looks kind of like a corset) and dress pants]." I wouldn't dare dress in such a fashion for a job interview or in the workplace. It looks unprofessional. I think only really young people would assume otherwise, or those who have never really been out and worked anyplace with dress and hair codes. Seems that at places like fastfood restaurants and grocery stores, it's not as strict since you're given a uniform. I know working at SunTrust, we weren't allowed to wear our hair wild and such and we were to always dress appropriately, meaning no jeans (or jean skirts, much to my dismay) or revealing clothing, etc. Hair had to be neat and in place and appropriate, etc. It's foolish to think that a weekend hobby (Harajuku folks who dress up) would do so on a regular basis if they have regular jobs.

*Realizes I'm rambling and shuts up* ^^;;