View Single Post
(#47 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
08-20-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Erm... I think that you too have fallen into the sea of misconception too.

Most people in Japan do NOT work overtime without pay. It`s actually against the law at the moment, and quite a lot of efforts are being taken to reduce or eliminate it. The image of everyone in Japan doing massive amounts of overtime because they want to look good at the company is around 20 years out of date. :P
Overtime, yes, but not for free. Especially not now that the "Cool Biz / Warm Biz" movement is in full swing - because of the rising energy costs, a lot of companies try to get everyone out of the office ASAP to cut down on costs.

You can have distorted views in both directions.
I guess I should've worded that better. I just don't have a problem with being asked to do overtime or to stay back and help in a general sense, since I feel it makes you look good to your employer. There was another topic here about this, so I already know what you mentioned. If I'm not mistaken, I think MMM explained this when I first came to this board, but still nice to inform in a general sense just in case. I know they don't do OT over there without pay, just saying, I like being helpful, for the most part, and if I'm willing to help after work without the pay, then there's no problem if the opportunity to work OT comes up (with pay) and I'm asked to do so.

Last edited by SSJup81 : 08-20-2008 at 03:10 PM.