View Single Post
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-24-2008, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Really? Subjected to being just stay-at-home moms, more Japanese women choose to not be moms at all. Calling a women "Christmas Cake" (unmarried by age 25) was common in the 80s. Now most people under 40 don't know what that term means. Hence the "greying of Japan" as families go from an average of +2.5 children (growing society) to -1.5 (shrinking society). The population in Japan peaked in 2006, and a lot of the reason for that is 1) economy but also 2) women flexing their rights.
I recognize the changes. But, in Japan those changes took longer than in the U.S., for example, even though people were aware of those new ideas. IN the U.S. (my/our point of reference) those who demand change want it now, with no regard for the dificulties or negative results of the changes. Newness and shucking the husk of the past is part of our culture. Japan usually takes those changes slower and thus mitigate the upheaval. Just look at all the damage done to women by the forceful "we want it now" change brought by the old women's lib movement. (which i don't want to confuse wsith women's rights) But of course those things are happening.