View Single Post
(#9 (permalink))
Old
JoshAussie (Offline)
わかりません

08-25-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvanas View Post
Like many people, I want to live in Japan after I finish my university, however, unlike many people, I do not want to be pigeon holed into teaching English. Which is why I plan to learn Japanese fluently, or as fluently as I can before heading off there.

Here we come to my dilemma, It's my dream to be a musician, but I'm very well aware of the difference between reality and a dream. So as a second hand choice, I have Film Directing, and then Photography. And maybe if neither of them work out, Journalism and other Media type works.

MY question is this, how is the industry and work for Film Industry in Japan? I know in America, it's very hard to become successful, however, it IS the best place to become a Film Director due to Hollywood. What's it like in Japan? The pay? The chance of me becoming a Film Director, considering I'm on par with other Japanese Directors, due to the fact that I'll still be a foreigner? What's the demand of Film Directors like in Japan?

The same questions would go for Photography and other parts of Media. What are the chances of me actually getting a job in Photography and/or Media in Japan as a foreigner?

Thank you in advance.
Its easy to say "If being a musician or film director doesnt work.. ill just drop back on Photography." With what qualifications?? Say you do go down that road and those jobs dont work out and you decide on Photography.. whats your plan?? walk into a company and ask for a job? "hey i have a camera im obviously a photographer hire me!." Or maybe you want to freelance. "Hey i have a camera, check it out it even has a lens hood im obviously professional (in joke) let me shoot your wedding for 3 grand."

Basically, I just dont understand how you plan to do it all. Sounds like you have no direction at all...

The only thing i can think of which you might be thinking issss getting your experience whilst in Japan. If you think your gona just pick up a camera and be a Photographer good luck with life because it doesnt work like that. And if your thinking that youv got enough "hobbie experience" as in becoming a photographer with the experience youv gained with photography as a hobbie wont work either. Do you think theres no other Photographers that will be going for jobs aswell?? you know.. ones that have gone to uni or done "accredited" courses or have worked as an assistant and slowly made a name for themself?????? - which leads me to my next point.

Unless you get real photography experience before you go (uni, accredited course) The only sort of job you could get would be working as a Photographers assistant. Its gona pay absolutely minimum to nothing at all. (mainly nothing at all, and definately nothing at all just when your starting.

(This post is huge but im still trying to explain so sorry.)

So if you go to Japan with no experience you might be able to land a job as an assistant. If you do it that way (the way with no experience upon arrival.) Its going to take a while before you even start getting paid. Your going to be carrying equipment and if your lucky they might even let you touch some of it. But using it?? lol. Your going to work with a few differant photographers (or thats how it usually goes anyway) as 1 might not have work during certain times. especially a freelance photographer work will be all over the place. So generally you woprk with a few differant photographers. but if you do that its going to take even longer to gain experience because its going to take a longer time for them to give you chances.

That might sound strange you work with more photographers but gain less experience.. You might get better at carrying bags but generally you want to build some sort of relationship with 1, 2 or even 3 of the photographers you work with so that they will give you more opportunities to gain experience through them.

Anyway as youv probably noticed by my long thread theres a few ways you can go about it. But what it comes down to is are you going to be able to work as an assistant while support yourself?? Im 19 im a "Amateur Photographer/Photographer Assistant." and i still live at home. Im at the point were i can very occassionaly land a solo job as a wedding Photographer. But you can count on it not being a very large one. I was lucky as i have family "in the industry" which was good for me as i was able to work with him which then helped me get other assistant jobs back home.

Basically unless you go to Japan with some sort of real experience your not going to be able to get proper paying job or you can get experience over there but then it comes down to be able to support yourself while your there.

MMM mentioned teaching english. that could work maybe. but remember what i said about freelancers working odd hours. they might ask you to come help do a job at 1 in the afternoon. your not gona be a teacher very long if you have to have days off to work as an assistant photographer.

I duno if you can work part time as a teacher?? no idea. even then you wont know if the person your working for will get a job on the day you work.