(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
09-13-2008, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixote73 View Post
Did being an anti-feminist female lead you to come to Japan?
I don`t believe that was anywhere near the forefront of my reasoning, although at this point I`m sure it does have something to do with the way I think. Being as I`ve lived here for 10 years now and all...

Quote:
Do you find Japan more comfortable for anti-feminist women?
I wouldn`t know, as I`ve never lived elsewhere as an adult. I don`t feel threatened or looked down on though.

Quote:
Can I ask why you believe that feminism has inequality as its philosophical basis?
Personal experience. Media. Speaking to other western women in and out of Japan. Encounters with other mothers who love to gawk if I express support for my husband.

Quote:
Did you base this belief on something you read or experienced? I'd be interested in knowing.
Check the answer to the above.
If things are so equal - where are all the positive depictions of men? Where is the support for women who don`t choose to be "superior", or who don`t choose to belittle their husbands? Where is all the cultural support for mothers who make the choice to stay home, or who wish they didn`t have to "do it all"?

A lovely example is to look at the popular western female`s opinion of the women in Japan... That they`re all oppressed and held down by the men - without ever bothering to actually look at the fact that the "oppression" is an active choice made by women. Staying at home is the best-case-scenario in most cases. It`s the dream women strive for. Not the "My husband won`t let me work" everyone loves to jump to conclusions about.

As stated in a previous post, anti-feminism is not misogyny. But there is no feminism without misandry. Therefore, I will never think of myself as a feminist, but instead as an egalitarian.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.