View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Leocadia (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Leocadia Send a message via Yahoo to Leocadia
Japanese Culture Shock - 09-23-2008, 04:36 AM

I know this is not related to Japanese food, but it is food.

In Japan there is a saying to not be wastefull and people usually stick to this lifestyle choice which makes sense. If someone else treated you to food, regardless of culture, you wouldn't want to waste it!

But what some people don't realize is when they come to the US and since there is a stereo type of American people("the eating lots" stereotype) people assume that you're supposed to eat everything that is put on their plate at a retaurant. You all know that the United States is notorious for big hamburgers, right?

Well, big hamburgers really aren't a big part of the people's lives. Sure if you go to a real restaurant or a fancy one, you will get a decent sized hamburger but you are not supposed to eat it all at once! At every restaurant there are boxes for you to take food home....normally people just eat the left-overs for lunch the next day and what a few of my friends have noticed is there is a lot of restaurants in Japan where you can't take food home.

Besides, if you cook at home, you don't really make THAT much food. My friend who came to the US was suprised because McDonald's hamburgers were the same size as the ones in Japan. But another friend came to the US wanting to have a BIG burger and so she went to a place like Chiles and got a hamburger but she ate the whole thing! I feel sooo sorry for her because anyone would have had to push themselves to eat it all! Normally when I go out to eat, I barely eat half of my dish....and I've noticed all my friends are the same.

Did anyone have the same kind of experiences?