(#9 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-26-2008, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongpb View Post
Samurai,

Thanks for your advice. So far, I understand that Kobe does not seem to be exciting place to visit. As I will be going to Himeji, so just think of going there on the way.

My trip to Osaka will be :

Day 1 - Arrive from Tokyo to Osaka. Visit Osaka Castle and the Aquarium.
Day 2 - Visit Universal Studio
Day 3 - Nara and Kyoto
Day 4 - Himiji Castle and Kobe
Day 5 - Home sweet home. (11 am flight)

Let me know if I can improve my itinary. Thanks !
Well, your tastes may be different from mine, but for me, here's what I'd do with that amount of time:

Day 1 - Arrive from Tokyo to Osaka. Visit Osaka Castle, the Aquarium, and explore Osaka (Dotonbori Street, Den Den town, etc). You should be able to do all that in a day if you get an early start.
Day 2 - Visit Nara, travel to Kyoto in afternoon/evening, see some sights in Kyoto
Day 3 - Explore Kyoto in morning, travel to Himeji, see Himeji Castle in afternoon, travel back to Arima Onsen (just outside Kobe) and visit/stay at an onsen resort (Arima Hot Springs)
Day 4 - Travel to Koyasan, explore the cemetery and temples and stay at a temple overnight
Day 5 - Home sweet home. (11 am flight)

(It's a pretty busy itinerary, and you might decide to cut something, such as Himeji Castle, since you're going to visit Osaka Castle anyway...)

Which airport are you flying out of? If it's Kansai International, you should be able to make it from Koyasan to the airport in time to depart. If you are leaving from Tokyo, you may not be able to stay overnight in Koyasan, instead having to return to Osaka that evening in order to catch a shinkansen back to Tokyo as early as possible.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan