View Single Post
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Yonsu (Offline)
New to JF

10-09-2008, 12:46 AM

Keaton421: Grammar is my absolute worst subject, and yet I need to use my grammar knowledge to ask questions about Japanese grammar. That's... bad. XD But it works out, a little.

Etou.... watashi wa terebi MO suki desu? 8D But that's assuming that the 'also' in "I also like television" refers to television. If the 'also' refers to 'I' as in "me, too!" then it would be watashi MO terebi o suki desu. So the placement of the mo would slightly change the meaning of the sentence.

...Right? XDDD;;

RadioKid: Domo arigatou gozaimasu! m(_ _)m In the example you gave about ordering food (watashi wa unagi da), you would use it after someone asked you what you will order? I think I kind of get it... is it because unlike English, where you need to state specific things, in Japanese as long as the subject is known the subject can be omitted? Therefore in that situation "watashi wa unagi da" can be used without causing a misunderstanding?

And to anyone who can answer: I'm going off in a tangent here, but one thing that keeps on bugging me is the use of 'da'. I'm pretty sure it's similar, if not identical, to the usage of 'da' in Korean, but I wanted to confirm if 'da' is an informal form of 'desu'?