View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Tain (Offline)
JF Regular

Non-native English teacher - 10-09-2008, 01:08 AM

I mostly read the topics here, but now I have a question of my own. Hope some people can help me or give some advice.

First, my situation. About three years ago i started doing an Asian Trade Management study in The Netherlands. With this came the opportunity to study a foreign language, in my case this was Japanese. One of the reasons I chose for Japanese was because our family was hostfamily for a Japanese girl when I was little. Since then I've always been fascinated by this country and their culture. So I chose for Japanese, which brought me to Japan for a half year exchange programme and a half year internship. I'm in the middle of my internship right now.

So, I did the exchange programma and I loved being there. Now I realized that studying this way is not the same as living in Japan, so before I wanted to make any future descisions I wanted to wait for my internship. I am working at this internship for about two months now and this makes me want to stay even more. A lot of my foreign friends left after the programme ended, so I kind of had to start all over again, but soon I made some great friends, mostly Japanese. A few weeks ago I also met a girl I am dating right now, so the future looks bright. Except for the fact that I have to go back in about 3 months.

Now I don't mind going back to the Netherlands that much, I have to graduate and I can see my Dutch friends and family again. I just can't stop the thought of not wanting to spend the rest of my life in the Netherlands... Ideally, I would like to come back after graduating in July 2009.

Okay, sorry for the long introduction... Now, I have a few options.
- JET programme (problem is that I want to stay in Kansai area because of friends/girl stuff)
- private school (but it's hard to get in as a non-native)
- another exchange programme

At least, that's what I can think of right now. If you have other ideas, please let me know. My Japanese is not really well, I think I can get JLPT 3, but it will be hard. My current plan is to apply at a private school, save money while improving my Japanese and do a master at a Japanese university after a some years. The only problem is the whole non-native thing. So does anyone know about places where I have a good chance to get in. My English is pretty good, to the point that natives think I am native too but can't really place my accent.

Well, I hope someone can help me with this. I understand it's a long story and pretty chaotic, but there's too much thoughts going through my head to type it down clearly.