View Single Post
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-16-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAWAIIdoscope View Post
One of the few things worse than doing something because everyone is, would be not doing something because anyone else is. It doesn't matter if something is cliche or not, as long as you write it well it has real potential. If you wish to write about characters like this then do so, regardless of if it is brand new or completely common.

In my opinion, writing cliche stories is harder than writing something completely new.

If I may make a suggestion though, I wouldn't be calling Yuri goth/punk/whatever in your mind because the way that you phrase things in your mind can affect your writing. Write about Yuri as a person, going through different stages in her life and just because she is going through a tough time does not mean that she is a sad person. Even if you want an all sad atmosphere in the story don't forget to change the mood a little, show different sides of the characters.

I apologize if I am not very clear, english is not my first language.

Writing cliche stories is only more difficult because they've been done over and over again. Stories about social issues like homosexuality and racism have been common for the last 40 years. These stories have been written mainly to raise awareness of these issues.

If you are writing such a story, the issue should not be the main part of the story. To tell the truth, the plot of the story is generally not it's most significant part. What is important is the quality and style of writing. A good writer can make VCR instructions interesting, whereas a bad writer can make a New England fall landscape seem as lousy as an insect bite.

If this is your first real effort at writing, you should stay away from difficult or abstract topics like sexuality or style. You'll spend too much time describing things that don't really matter. The idea behind good writing is not to be too descriptive, but to inspire the imagination of the reader. Good writing leaves blanks and openings which are filled by the reader.

You should start simply. Write a story about yourself, and what you did for a single day. A poor writer will only be able to manage a few paragraphs about a trip to Disney. A good writer could write an entire book about a day during which he never left his bedroom.

Words and phrases should be chosen to inspire imagination and emotion. Some writers are very descriptive, and include every detail. This is good writing, and effective when setting the scene for the next step in a closely written story. Other writers describe very little, giving only outlines which the reader must color in with his own imagination. Of both styles, the latter is better than the former, as it increases the involvement of the reader, and is a true expression of the highly skilled writer.