View Single Post
(#22 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
10-16-2008, 05:55 PM

MMM is right. Writing what you know is critical. As I was reading through the thread there were some things that came to mind from my own experience.

1) If you write about what you "think" you know, but haven't experienced (your scenario!) someone who has experienced it will know you are making it up and not necessarily very well. If you are male and still insist on writing about lesbians (please, no) at least find an honest, critical lesbian friend to read and critique your drafts. I would also suggest that you write it as a male character's observation and relationship with the couple, not as one of the women involved. It will be much closer to what you can honestly portray.

2) As for the name of the character(s), you can try what I do. I only write short stories (can't seem to finish the longer 2 projects) and I do not name my characters until it is finished. Just put a number or an initial instead of a name. Then I read the finished work and usually by the time that is done, I have a good feel for the names. Choosing the names are the hardest part for me - always, and this seems to work best.

3) While there is nothing original about a pacifist, vegetarian, goth lesbian, that doen't mean your character can't be original. You just need to flesh her out beyond the labels. Of the many I know who fit those categories, not a one of them is like any other. One is a dear friend, one a sworn enemy, some try my patience, and others are quite fun to hang around with. Make her a person, not a list a lables!

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.