Old
ThirdSight (Offline)
Bane of Stupidity

Send a message via AIM to ThirdSight
10-20-2008, 12:05 AM

I cannot stop myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVon View Post
i already know my stories never have a correct structure. but that also make it more original.
I don't know who told you this, but I'm fairly certain that whoever managed to squeak this into your skull may not have a central nervous system. Not having structure in a story does not make your story more original or creative. Ever. I don't think the Internet will let me stress that enough. It's words on a page, it's not a story, nor never will be one, unless it has structure. Structure is more than grammer, spelling, and punctuation; if you don't understand that, you cannot hope to ever write something of merit until you learn otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVon View Post
i am never serious about story starters until something about it inspires me.
How else, pray tell, can anything ever creative be created? One of the best ways (and the best authors practice this religiously) to start a story you didn't know you had is to write about something, anything, and to keep going with it, pursuing it with the utmost intensity and sincerity; should the work not turn out to the writer's liking, it's simply tossed or saved for later reference. The only way you might produce great ideas without having to consantly exercise the creative muscles is if you have an amazing idea at least twice a day, though all evidence suggests otherwise.

I apologize for the lengthy post and rant, but I cannot help myself. As someone who is studying the art of writing constantly, it pains me to not only know that great writers are far and few between and that now in the Information Age, anyone, namely those that got good grades on in-class essays and thought they were creative enough to "get popular" and "be liked", can be a "writer". As a (incredibly bad, let's not lie to ourselves) practicioner of the art of writing, it breaks my heart to see the craft which I've chosen as a career being bastardized.

Learn the rules before you break them.

Wow...fire was spewing out of my mouth there. Sorry again.

-M@

How in the world do people reach 1,000+ posts?

Skadoosh.