View Single Post
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Harold (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-20-2008, 04:29 AM

What are you getting at here? You need to explain things better and make sure that what you say makes sense. A lot of your story seems to be thrown together without much thought put into actual organization...

An example. You wrote:
Quote:
I was alone, mostly because I was the only one who jogged instead of worked out. I had all the the privacy I wanted. No noise, nothing to burden my sharp hearing, except the sound of the rushing water.
Some words here really have no good reason to be there other than to be fillers. You still can communicate the idea of being alone without using filler-words.

The bolded words are what I could consider filler words. The red contradicts itself. You can't have both of those things going on at once.

Here's how I would say it:

Quote:
Being the only one who jogged, I was left alone. The privacy of the moment became mine. Aside from the rushing water, things were relatively quiet. My ears could finally relax.
Here's what I wrote, but with filler words:

Quote:
Just by being the only and only one who jogged that day, I was left all alone to myself with no one around. The privacy of the moment became mine. Aside from the sounds of rushing water from the shower rushing over my head, things were actually relatively quiet mostly because I was alone. My ears could finally relax without much problem.
See the difference?

Here's a recommendation. Make sure you run your text through spell-check. Odd structured sentences, grammar mistakes, and spelling errors all distract from your piece, and that's not something you really want to happen. Try to make things less flowery when you describe the situation and get to the point without losing meaning.

Other than that, keep it up!

I
沖縄           My blog