View Single Post
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-12-2008, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul11 View Post
Manga peaked in the late '80's and early 90's. The sales have fallen by almost 30 percent as young people find other electronic forms of entertainment. American comics are becoming more popular due to movies like bat-man and Iron-man. American companies are currrently producing movie forms of popular manga, such as Akira. When American and other non-japanese move into the market, will it no longer be "manga?" Does it have to be Japanese to be manga, or can it just follow the patterns and stories of "manga"....

sushi is sushi no matter where it's cut (although much better in Japan, it's still sushi). Rock and roll and blues are still rock and bues whn played by non americans (not as good, but stil rock or blues)......
So there was a Japanese-produced Star Trek anime? I am confused, as the question is in English and he has said "manga" and "anime" and I have no idea what we are talking about.

I don't know if we want to open the can of worms argument of what is anime and manga, but when someone asks "What do you think of the Star Trek manga?" I think "Oh, there was a Japanese produced comic book of Star Trek."

This is true of Batman, Spiderman, Star Wars... but I never heard of a Star Trek manga made in Japan.

And if he means an American-produced comic in English for Americans, that's called a "comic".

If it's an American-produced animated TV show in English for Americans, that's called a "cartoon".