View Single Post
(#45 (permalink))
Old
KUNIO (Offline)
オタク

[GUIDE] Read/Write Japanese on your Windows XP PC - 11-25-2008, 04:23 AM

Read/Write Japanese on your Windows XP PC

Everyone, Konnichiwa! ^_^

This guide will show you how you can configure your computer to read and write Japanese. After this, your computer will be able to read all Japanese characters, and you can even write them too. I'll even hook you up with shortcut keys, so you can easily switch between English and Japanese output =] I will explain everything as clearly as I can, so enjoy!

NOTE: I have seen the thread here. I felt like this guide needed more, so I wanted to help out and contribute.

Reading Japanese Characters

First you must click on your Start button, and then open the Control Panel.

Then double click "Regional and Language Options".

Now click on the "Languages" tab, and check the box that says "Install files for East Asian languages". Then click apply.

You will then be prompted for your Windows XP installation disc. You should have this handy, but if not, this tutorial sadly ends for you. I do not know of a way past this, as it needs the files on the disc. Perhaps you can acquire them online somehow, but if not, I am sorry. If it is handy, that is good news. Pop it in and let it install the languages. After that reboot your computer.

Writing Japanese Characters

So, your computer can now read Japanese, congratulations! Now, what if you read someones post here on JF, and you want to reply in Japanese? This step is for you guys, so pay attention.

First re-open the Control Panel, and re-open the Regional and Language Options configuration window. Now click on the "Advanced" tab, and make sure that Japanese has a check mark next to it. Then hit apply.

Now, click on the "Languages" tab, and press the button labeled "Details". Then click the "Add" button, and match the below settings.

Then click the button labeled "Language Bar". Make sure that "Show the language bar on the desktop" and "Show text labels on the Language bar" are checked.

Now, click the button that says "Key Settings". Match the settings below, or modify them to your liking.

This will allow you to, at any moment, switch between typing English characters and typing Japanese characters! All you need to do is press on your keyboard CTRL+SHIFT+1 for English and CTRL+SHIFT+2 for Japanese. Also, I'll tell you how to use the language bar.

Using the Language Bar

All you need to do now is when the language bar is open, choose Hiragana, Katakana, Kanji, etc. there are many options. To type Kanji, type the correct Hiragana and then hit the space bar until you are pleased (thank SHAD0W for pointing this out). Please enjoy your new configured PC and I hope you enjoyed this tutorial!

NOTE: I do not own Windows Vista, so I do not know how to apply this to that Operating System. This guy does however:

Software Help TV: How to enable Japanese with Windows Vista English version.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by KUNIO : 11-28-2008 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Link.