View Single Post
(#3 (permalink))
Old
uvahoo06 (Offline)
New to JF

11-28-2008, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
Don't worry, there are a ton of cheap and good restaurants all over Japan. Look for the plastic food with prices in the window out front to see what looks good and is in your budget. Try some gyudon, tonkatsu, yakisoba, zosui, kara'age, ramen, etc. For breakfast, just stop at a supermarket or convenience store for some fruit, pastry, and juice/coffee/tea. Never buy drinks in a restaurant, just take the tea or water they give you, because you can get the same drink at a vending machine outside for 1/3 the price, or from a supermarket for even less.

As for your schedule, here's my advice:

12/21 - land, get a place to stay in Tokyo, explore a little and get over some jet lag.

12/22 - Explore Tokyo some more, visit the palace gardens, any other sights you are interested in, such as Akihabara.

12-23 - Day trip to Nikko.

12/24 - Head to Matsumoto, possibly stopping in Hakone alone the way (It's a bit out of the way, though). Visit Matsumoto Castle if there's time.

12/25 - Take bus into Japan Alps, hike around Kamikochi, take another bus to Takayama in evening.

12/26 - Visit the Hida Folk Village and 7 Lucky Gods, and explore this old fashioned town. Possibly begin heading toward Kyoto in the evening, depending upon schedule.

12/27 - Travel to Kyoto, see some temples when you arrive.

12/28 - Spend the day seeing more of Kyoto

12/29 - In the morning, head to Nara to see the Daibutsu and deer park. Can either stay in Nara or head to Osaka that night.

12/30 - Sightsee around Osaka, visit Osaka Castle if you missed Matsumoto Castle.

12/31 - Head to Mt Koya on the Nankai Koya line out of Osaka's Namba station. Visit Okunoin Cemetery and temples. Stay overnight in a temple if possible, though with it being new year's eve, it may all be booked already. (Book this ahead if you can!) See the traditional ringing of the temple bells at the start of the new year, lots of festivities!

1/1 - Visit the temples to get your new year's fortune, then head for your flight out (of Kansai International, I presume?)

OMG...this is amazing. Thank you SOOOO much If anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks a lot, you all. I love this forum!