View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
conniechiwa (Offline)
New to JF

Kyushu in Winter - 11-28-2008, 03:53 AM

Hello, just wanted to start this out by saying thanks to all who responded to my last thread regarding travel. I wound up checking out Hokkaido for a couple of days. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't so cooperative and a lot of the places I wanted to see (national parks, etc) had just closed down for the season. Made it up to Hakodate, however, and did see Onuma-koen which was okay (probably much prettier in the summer). On the other hand, I did see the Japanese Alps on the way back and they are gorgeous!!! Thank you very much to all who recommended passing through there.

I have one more week left on my rail pass and I would like to go to Kyushu. However, for the amount of time i have left, I'm worried most of the time would be spent sitting on the train for hours on end. Should I just visit the northern section of Kyushu, such as Beppu and Mt. Aso? I would like to head further down south but I'm wondering if it's really worth it this time of year. I'm sure the beaches are beautiful and very nice in the summer, but being winter, would it really be worth it to go? Is it warm and sunny, can you swim in the water? I'm guessing that's probably only in Okinawa this time of year? I was thinking the national park near Kagoshima might be really neat to see, but again, want to avoid spending long hours on the train if there really isn't much to see or do down that way. As I said in my last thread, I'm very much into nature and hiking, would love to see volcanoes and natural scenery as opposed to shrines or historical stuff. So what's worth it in Kyushu this time of year? Thank you so much for any and all help or advice; it is very much appreciated!