View Single Post
(#9 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-28-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvahoo06 View Post
Like the JR Rail Pass, is there a BUS PASS that I can purchase? Are bus trips fairly expensive? I'm excited, but as I mentioned before, I'm soooo nervous. I like traveling alone, but this whole trip seems somewhat daunting and nerve-wracking. I just don't want something to go wrong, especially since I don't speak Japanese!

More importantly, I e-mailed Japan Guesthouse, and they said that all guesthouses have been booked in Koyasan for the New Year. Does anyone else have any suggestions of what I should do? Should I perhaps go elsewhere and change my itinerary? Thanks once again!
The great thing about Koyasan is actually staying overnight at a temple, eating the food the priests eat, etc. Here is the list of temples that provide lodging (there are over 100 temples at Koyasan!)

Shukub ,

Temple Stays - Koya-San - Lonely Planet Hotels & Hostels

Now, it's possible all of these are booked as well, in which case, you can stay somewhere off the mountain. Hashimoto (the city I used to live in) is a decent-sized city at the foot of the mountain, and you may be able to find some lodging there. Or you could go all the way back to Osaka, or to Wakayama City. If you do that, you'll effectively turn Koyasan into a day trip, and not be there for the ringing of the bells and celebrations at midnight, though. There might be buses or taxis still running after midnight because of all the people there celebrating, though I don't know for sure...

I don't know of a separate bus pass, but all JR buses are included in the rail pass. You probably shouldn't need to travel by bus very much with the itinerary I laid out... only between Matsumoto and Takayama because there's no train through the alps, and any city buses you may need to get to wherever you're staying or sights you are seeing.

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan

Last edited by samurai007 : 11-28-2008 at 03:52 PM.