View Single Post
(#74 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

12-18-2008, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushidushi View Post
Can you suggest a recipe for a furikake? Or at least an idea of what it might involve? Or is it generally more something you buy and sprinkle on rice because it's quick, easy and tasty?

Yes, I use the black goma for gomashio.

Today, I tried hot rice mixed with a bit of Glico curry - the stuff that comes in solid form and melts when it's stirred into something hot. For something so very simple, it tasted pretty good!
To tell the truth, very few Japanese make their own furikake at home. We just buy it at supermarkets. But if you're interested, you could try making some. Here's one example. It's straight outa one website, so I won't promise anything.

3-5 Niboshi, 15g. Sakura-ebi (dried tiny pink shrimp), 2 spoons white goma, 1 spoon nori, 1 spoon pine seeds. Grind niboshi thoroughly in food-processor first, add sakuraebi and grind for 5 secs, and and add rest and grind a few secs. Add salt when you eat it.

Yay for using black goma. It's excellent for onigiri, too.

And curry is so good with rice. White rice is great, but turmeric rice tastes wonderful with curry, too. It adds color to the table.

Pic of the most popular furikake in Japan, the Noritama (green pack) and my current favorite, the Tarako (cod roe) in pink pack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg noritama.jpg (11.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg tarako.jpg (16.5 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Nagoyankee : 12-18-2008 at 06:26 AM.