View Single Post
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
12-18-2008, 03:37 PM

I`m no longer "alone" in Japan, but obviously I was at some point and had to make the transition to not being so in order to have the opportunity to get married...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedKnightly View Post
how do you make friends with japanese people?
please state if u are working or not.
The exact same way you make friends with people ANYWHERE. Japanese people aren`t all that different than most people the world over.

Quote:
how do u break the barrier between social life and work life, in order to get close to them?
By talking to them? I don`t mean to be sarcastic - if you are communicating with these people in a work setting, try talking a bit more personally. Take little steps, ask them about their hobbies, interests, etc.

Much like you would outside of Japan.

Quote:
and how do you enjoy your free time when u have no friends here?
I put most of my effort into making friends.

If you are working in a company, chances are there are 飲み会, right? That is where most of the leaps from work to social happen. It`s not going to happen quickly or without effort - but I can assure you it isn`t an impossibility.
Take part in some sort of neighborhood events - check your local town/city facilities for events in things you have some interest in. As strange as it sounds, talk to middle aged women who will almost ALWAYS want to introduce you to someone, which is a chance.

I think that you`re wrong about the making all friends during school days bit. I don`t know all that many people who keep in good touch with their friends from school days.

The biggest issue, in my opinion, is finding the time outside of work to put effort into a friendship. That is the same anywhere. But obviously it can happen, as there are enough people out there with friends they made at work and enough office marriages...

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.