View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Trouble (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Everything A Manga Reader Should Know - 01-06-2009, 02:41 AM

So basically, this thread is here for the manga readers who aren't familiar with most terms, words, or onomonopeic (sp?) words that are used in everyday manga. Feel free to post here things that I know I will miss.

Pocky - It is the sterotype otaku food. It's basically a sweet pretzel that is dipped in something.

Anime Expo - A convention where anime watchers, otakus, and manga artists meet to talk, cosplay, or take pictures.

Otaku - Someone who's life is 70% manga. Someone who is so into manga that they wear random anime character's clothes to a party or some kind of event. I still have a vague idea of what an otaku is, and there is more than one meaning.

Kuri Kuri - The words that appear when someone is fondeling breasts

Sama-means godly or lord
Chan - normally used for younger boys or term of endurment
Kun - almost like chan only its like refearing to a bf or gf
sensie- teacher or athority
kuri kuri -is normally like a moaning kinda thing...
oh and an interesting thing i once read in a manga is that sometimes the have to flip the char. when the make it english (normally Americans read left to right) so if a chars. shirt says star it may say rats once americanized lol
um i guess thats all for this otaku for tonight ^ ^

Shonen - sometimes transliterated as shounen or shonen, is a Japanese word used in English to refer to manga intended for young boys. ...

bloody noses- Bloody noses are often used in anime to depict sexual arousal. When a character gets a bloody nose, it's a safe bet that he is looking at fan service.

fan service - Fan service refers to shots of panties poking out from underneath very short skirts, busty women showing lots of cleavage, and women dressing in as little as possible, often defying the laws of gravity.

stylized nudity - This is nudity in which no detail is seen. In Japan it is taboo to draw pubic hair, which means that most stylized nudity is an outline of the body in which nipples and other details are absent. Often covered by wisps of cloud, shadows or strategically placed limbs, this sort of nudity appears often in anime for younger viewers. The Japanese have no problems with this sort of thing for children, and it’s one of the cultural differences that American librarians must contend with in our more conservative society.

Shoujo/Shojo : geared toward girls.
Yaoi: malexmale
Yuri: femalexfemale
Shonen Ai: it's also yaoi but focuses more on the romantic side. Often, shonen-ai is associated with fluffy, cute, and cuddly relationships. Shonen-ai means any type of manga or anime that has a boy-boy love story. Basically a gay love story for girls who like guys who like guys. Make sense? haha.

Cosplay - Dressing like a character from an Anime, Manga or videogame.

And always keep in mind that gravity doesn't apply on Manga and Anime.

Last edited by Trouble : 01-06-2009 at 10:26 PM.