View Single Post
(#47 (permalink))
Old
ante (Offline)
JF Regular

01-21-2009, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyousuke View Post
instead of writing about how you despise people who, you think, dont like japan, then why not start a post for those interested in things other than anime,manga,jrock,etc and youll see that everyone here are not just interested in those things. one reason i love japan is its castles like himeji castle. a friend i met on here is into the japanese underground music scene. they are very creative and well coordinated when it comes to music and dance. you wouldnt stereotype a mexican about him hanging out in front of home depot, so why would you stereotype people who love japan?
Excuse me, what? I have never claimed that I dislike people who dislike Japan, neither have I professed some love for Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaton421 View Post
We're not talking about that.

And we're not trying to prove that "we love Japan more than you you and you." I don't even "love Japan" - no one who hasn't lived in Japan can claim that they do.

The problem is, people say they "love Japan", when really they're trying to say "I love anime, manga, Visual Kei and Harajuku fashion" - it's almost always these four, and they always say they "love Japan".
No one is talking about loving Japan, the thread was about why Japan attracts "weirdos". I came with a theory that it's because it has a modern culture that is different, and easy to access.

superheel then came with the claim that you don't like the real Japan unless you appreciate it's history. I claim that you can like the modern Japan, be ignorant about the history, and still like Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyousuke View Post
So you started this because of a simple misunderstanding. That's alright.

I'm just saying that many people act as if Japan is sooooo strange and different. The reality is that Japan is no stranger or more different than any other country in this world - there are just dull people who believe that it is.
I started what? You asked what was different about Japan, I provided an answer. You didn't like that particular part of the culture and therefor dismissed it. I still claim that modern Japanese culture is different, and easy to access, that's the difference between Japanese culture, and the culture of many other countries, that it's modern and easy to access, while being different.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do.
-Bob Dylan