View Single Post
(#71 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-23-2009, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
I really don't have a hard time understanding, the reasons behind the fanaticism of the so call "weirdos".

One just needs to look at the culture products they are pushed by the Japanese media & industrial complexes themselves:

• J-Rock/Pop, Anime & Manga, Automobiles, Video Games etc...

We all know that this is not the sum total culture of Japan. The reasons that the corporations push these aspects is simple. It is because they are new, and they can be tied directly to that companies profit centers. If they were to push a more traditional aspect of the culture, there would be no guaranty they they would be the beneficiaries.

Now because the products that are marketed tend to be high energy, it tends to attract people with high energy personalities. Being high energy, these types of personalities tend obsessive about those things that stimulate them. Hence the the crazed fandom of those subjects.

Now if you look a country like France or Germany, they have a tendency to push the more traditional aspects of their cultures, and the pop aspects of their cultures in a less perverse way. That being said, when you find a German metal fan, or just a good old fashioned Francophile, you may find them to every bit as obsesive as those of the Japanese.
Interesting theory.... I guess it makes sense if you agree that there are a number of "foriegn weirdo's" out there who are into Japanese things.

Though would neo-nazi's count as German obsessed?

I think if they did then the German obsessed people are more of a danger than J-pop-culture obsessed people.