(#6 (permalink))
Old
rukia29 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to rukia29
Smile 01-28-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
Supporting a family of 4 on a teachers salary will be very tight. Unless he teaches at a University (which will require a graduate degree), he'll probably be making around 30,000 yen a month to start. Even if you're able to survive on that salary, you won't be having too much fun.

Make sure you look into the income tax situation as well. I know that in Canada, we're required to pay Canadian income tax ontop of the earnings we make in Japan. (Minus the payments we made in Japan but income tax rates in Japan are much lower.)

As for housing, you should be aware that you may be required to pay 5 to 6 months worth of rent before you can move into your rental property. Most of which are non refundable in the form of reikin (key money) and real estate agent fees. So in other words, you could be putting down close to $5,000 before you receive the keys to your front door!

FWIW, I'll be doing something similar to you this fall. I'm also in the I/T field, I also expect to start with a teaching job and although I'm single, I'm probably similar in age to your husband. I'm still in the planning stages myself but I plan on bringing no less than $20,000 to start.
well maybe we should match that! WE are trying to do all of this legally. I know you can go on a tourist visa and iterview..which we had thaought about as well. We are going to visit next year. Yes in the ad the realtor sent me I saw the key money as well as the advanced rent and so on and so forth. Okay keep the tips coming I wonder with my visa if I could work as well??? HMM any thoughts?