View Single Post
(#17 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-30-2009, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Well put, samurai. I put up with a lot of things, similar to what you describe. I had no computer or Internet. In the winter is was basically freezing when I stepped out of the shower. My veranda was my closet, and many of my shirts got sunbleached on one side.

Now in a house with a yard, I can't really imagine going back to that in the same way.
Ahh yes, the only cold water washing machine, and having no dryer... I hung clothes on the balcony when it was sunny, but had clotheslines strung across my living room/ bedroom for the rest of the year. And it was not uncommon for stuff to take 3+ days to dry in that humidity or on cold winter days with no heat indoors. Oh, and how about when you left your clothes drying outside because it seemed like it'd be a nice day, only to have a sudden rainstorm or showers while you were at the store or work?

These are the kinds of "real life in Japan" things that people who have never been, or only visited a few days or weeks, just don't know about. Sure, they see pictures of Japanese apartments with clotheshangers outside, but they don't always consider all the implications of how common they are, and what that means...

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan

Last edited by samurai007 : 01-30-2009 at 03:38 AM.