View Single Post
(#10 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

02-05-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameerah View Post
I agree, I don't think it's only Japan that acts this way. Some people visit a country without researching it's culture, and get pissed when people are looking at them funny.

Nyororin you're right. Communication is the key, but some people are so ignorant that they assume the whole world speaks English, i've had people accuse Germans of being racist because they couldn't understand English, only they made up silly excuses like "They understand English, but don't want to respond". What a joke.

My best advice is, don't listen to what people have to say. Go and visit the place and have your own experience.
Well, thats what he is doing, researching

I agree with everyone. I've experienced both sides: Those who welcome me, and those who rejects me.

First, there are WAY more Japanese who welcome a foreigner than those who will reject it, at least in most "tourist centric" area, that is definitely the case.

Secondly, to the side that rejects me, well, they reject me not because they don't like me, the rejection came mostly from the assumptions (their assumption) that they won't be able to communicate with me.

Of course there will also be the case with random Yakuza who carried the great samurai spirit from the Edo time frame who believe in driving out the foreigners, but thats just a niche percentage

Housetek made a good point, when you enter someone's country, as long as you act respectful and stick to activities that is socially acceptable locally, you should be fine. Just don't do anything that will give reasons for people to hate you. One example, will be the incident at Tsukiji, they now banned tourist from entering Tsukiji, thanks to a few individual who decide to act like an idiot: Tokyo fish market bars tourists | World news | The Guardian

So, as long as you don't do anything outrageous to give people a reason to hate you, you should be fine