View Single Post
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Kirotighta (Offline)
New to JF

02-10-2009, 05:28 AM

I think one disadvantage to mass production companies, not just clothing, is that as time goes on, people come to rely solely on these companies for their needs, and over time our society has lost many skills. The majority of people these days don't know how to sew for themselves, or really do or make anything for themselves for that matter, and if they ever lost those companies that they rely so heavily on, they will be at a loss as to what to do.

In my personal opinion, I think that our over-dependance on companies for our daily needs is a degeneration of our society. I mean, hardly anyone can do anything for themselves anymore. Take Mapquest and GPS for example. More and more people are relying entirely on turn-by-turn instructions, and you know that at some point these things will be standard in cars. But what will happen in the years to come, when there are only as many people that understand how to use a map and compass as there are people today that can sew?

Don't get me wrong, I love technologic innovations, but I don't think that they should cause us to loose our skills in self sufficiency. Because of people's utter reliance on these companies, the gap between producer and consumer is steadily growing larger.

Another thing. While mass-produced clothing is cheap, making them yourself is even cheaper, and if you become decent, you can usually have better quality clothing that fits better than store-bought clothing.

Yet another thing. Even in the days when everyone still sewed their own clothing, there were still fashion trends. But even in that instance, because you could make your own pieces, each outfit had the potential to be one of a kind, and uniquely your own. These days, there are hundreds if not thousands of the exact same shirt being produced ever day, meaning that if you buy something from a store like Gap, it is virtually impossible to call yourself completely unique. You may have your own unique way of mixing pieces of your outfit to get your own look, but somewhere, someone else is wearing the same shirt.

Sorry, sort of went off on a tangent there ^_^;