View Single Post
(#39 (permalink))
Old
Onyx (Offline)
JF Regular

02-11-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
One example, will be the incident at Tsukiji, they now banned tourist from entering Tsukiji, thanks to a few individual who decide to act like an idiot: Tokyo fish market bars tourists | World news | The Guardian

So, as long as you don't do anything outrageous to give people a reason to hate you, you should be fine
Wooow! I went to Tsukiji late may in 2008, i remember them saying now Flash when taking pictures, but now tourist and onlookers are banned!? I'm even more happy i was implored to go to Tsukiji by a Japanese girl who was staying at my hostel. Time to edit and upload these vids to you-tube.

Back Story--
She asked me if i wanted to go to "the fish market" with her and her friends at like 5am by this time it was already 2:30 after i night out in Shinjuku.. I respectfully declined because i hadn't slept since landed in Japan some 3 days earlier, and was uninterested in seeing fish at "the fish market"

Her: You must must go, many tourist love the fish market its very famous event, even for Japanese!

Me: Ya Ive heard about it, but, right now its just not on my list of things to
do... But thank you so much for inviting me, i really appreciate it.

Her: Onyx, you must come with us, i would really like you to come. I want you to see and it would make me happy (^_^)

Me:... Ok, you convinced me What time should we leave to get there?

Her: We are going to leave in 30 minutes to ride our bikes there.

Me: Bikes?? Ya.. I think im gonna stay here, i really don't feel like bike riding right now, i might just pass out lol. But Again, thanks for inviting me, you guys go and have fun

Her: .. (consults with her friends for about 10 seconds in Japanese) Ok, you can still come with us, we will take a cab so you can join us

Me: No way, i cant let you do that, i don't want you to change your plans just for me. I really appreciate your kindness but please, i would feel guilty if..

Her: No! I want you to come, it would make me very happy and i think you will like it. It ok don't worry ^_^

Me: Ok you win C-san, im come with you guys..
Her:

So, to the original poster, the Japanese can most hospitable, to the point of confusion lol. This particular person was EXTREMELY helpful to me on many many more occasions than the one just cited. And sometimes, while i was looking at the subway maps trying to figure out what ticket to buy, people would come up to me and try in their best english to ask if they could be of assistance. I always smiled and said thank you so much.

Once, i was o lost coming back from Shibuya my first time, i asked this young lady in my broken Japanese witch way is the "Oedo" line to Kurame?.. She pointed and said a 2 to 3 sentence phrase of witch all i could understand was "that way , down, left under left, next to" I must have had the most confused looking facial expression as i said thank you and began to walk in the direction she pointed me.. Then she said " chotto mate" and walked me 5 minutes out of her way to where i needed to go..

So, ya 98% of my experience with Japanese people in Japan were extremely positive. Just be respectful,nice and courteous and you should receive the same treatment multiplied exponentially.

Edit: sorry for my lil book.

Last edited by Onyx : 02-11-2009 at 09:55 PM.