View Single Post
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Dan0512 (Offline)
New to JF

02-23-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I think splitting the two like that is a good idea. I have never stayed in a hostel, so I don't know the hostel culture, but there are a LOT of threads covering your very question in this section. I think if have a specific question you;ll get specific answers.
Ok, I'll take a good look around. If you happen to have any direct links to those, I'd appreciate if you could post them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchrome
Some parts of Japan - even Tokyo - are really humid and quite hot during the summer. Prepare to sweat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu
Oh yeah the heat! When I went there it was the summer and I was not prepared for that island humidity... be prepared to sweat is right because it's a giant sauna.
I'm always prepared to sweat during vacations, especially during summer. But I assume the conditions are nothing out of this world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu
I know it's kind of a "crap out" but get the book Japan from the Lonely Planet series... it's an insanely comprehensive book with accommodations, sights, and highlights (including festivals), all the while explaining how to get to and from.

Hostels in Japan are probably better than Hostels in Europe- considering the Japanese are masters of little-tiny dorm rooms.

I suggest Sakura Hostel in Asakusa... it's in a great little area within a 2 minute walking distance of Senso-ji temple. It's cheap, has internet, and the staff speaks English and are around 24/7.

Indeed there are tons of threads on the subject of where to go... it depends on what you enjoy, but there are a few given:

Himeji Castle
Nara (And the Daibutsu)
Miyajima

etc. etc.
Thanks for your suggestions. I'll take a closer look at them .